Sunday 26 June 2011

The story of the Turtle

While amphibians tried coming out of the water, their children, mammals walked on land.
Reptiles. Where do they fit in?
They don't need water to live.
They're more like whales than anything else.
Going back in because they like how it feels.
Free will. Not a requirement.

I feel like a turtle. Locked up in a shell.

'Today mama while searching for something came across some old stuff. My first tie. "I'll make your son wear this".
There's this bracelet all my moms friends got a few years back.
"It's for your wife. I've kept it all these years for her."
My room's upstairs. There's a lounge outside my room with a small kitchen. Mom and dad have always talked about my wife cooking there.
My room, the place I'm sitting writing this, at my table, I've heard them joking about throwing out the table and putting in four baby cots.
I'm the only son. They have every expectation from me.'

Locked up.

Obsessed with having a wedding in the house, to wear that red dress my mom talks about and to dance with my dad that day.
Have every relative invited. Present a show. To have the best girl they can find for me.

Locked up in a shell.
The turtle:
I don't fit in. I don't belong to the sea. But I'm going back in because I like it. Just a little visit though. I'll be back out on the shore tomorrow.

Me:
'And guess what I have in mind.
I'll run away after a few years.
Leave all this behind.'
Cut my shell open.

Do turtles die if they ever come out?
Is their life bound to the imprisonment they've been destined with?
Why did fish live when they jumped out of the water?
Why didn't the dog die when he jumped back in?
Why did the whale die washed up on that shore?
Why did my dog die?

Rules. Death. God makes them. Makes them to His will.
No requirements. Just the urge to make them up.
Like the turtle who went back in. And who came out again. To go back in yet again.

If the whale could marry the turtle, their kids would be more like humans than any other species.
A free will. The will to defy God's rules. To go back in and come out at will.
But they're not allowed to marry.
God's afraid they might make a generation stronger that His beloved Men.
He surely can't have any of that.

Ulmo. Where did you go?
Where were you when God did all this?
Ulmo isn't answering. Maybe God did kill him.
Ulmo the Satan. Who showed man the path. The path of defiance.
God may have created the world but it's Ulmo who runs it, changes it.
With Ulmo dead the world is static. No balance of power. No power struggle.

The world is going down.
No Ulmo to let the turtle out. Only God to kill him.
I'm the turtle. Waiting for Ulmo's answer to my call. Waiting to be let out.
I'm getting desperate.
I take a knife.
Cut my shell open.
Before I'm out, I start dying.
I think about the fish coming out... Dogs going in...
As I die I look to my left. Theres a whale dying washed up on the shore.
He's calling for Ulmo too.
I'm looking at the my reflection.
The whale. The turtle. We're the same

No comments:

Post a Comment